Sunrise Launch Party

Today, I hosted a launch party for the Sunrise Movement at my house. What’s a launch party, you say?Breaking News: Mitch McConnell To Bring Green New Deal to ...

To kick off a year of action for the Green New Deal and make sure that climate change is the number one election issue in America, it’s going to take a bigger movement of young people than ever before. That’s why across the nation, Sunrise held over 2500 “launch parties” within one week! Young people gather in living rooms, campuses, and libraries across the country to learn about the Green New Deal and pledge to participate in strikes this Earth Day.




As active as I’ve been over the years, I’m still an introverted sixteen-year-old, and until today, I’d never hosted my own event by myself. Somehow, I took a leap of faith and ended up leading a meeting with nine other people, my first action as a part of Sunrise. Here’s the story of how that happened...



Thursday, January 2: I get an email in my inbox from Sunrise, asking me to host a launch party. It’s about time I got up and did something about climate change, so I say yes.

Friday, January 3: Oh god, what have I done, I think. 

Wednesday, January 8: I talk on the phone with the leader of my local Sunrise hub. She knows what she’s doing, and I’m so inspired by her that I completely discard the notion of quitting or backing out. They’re doing great work, and I can help. There’s no reason not to do this.

An empowering training for launch party hosts!

Tuesday, January 14: I join an online video call with Sunrise leaders, who teach launch party hosts how to speak powerfully about the climate crisis and lead the activities. This launch party thing might actually be okay, I think. My best friend promises to be there, so even if no one else shows up, at least I get to hang out with her! She and the experienced Sunrise volunteers inspire me to keep going with this crazy idea.

Saturday, January 18: I hit “send” on over a dozen different emails and texts, asking my friends to come to my party. I get some no’s, but others say they’re interested. “Hell yeah,” one friend replies within 30 seconds of receiving my message.

Saturday, February 1: I’m excited to hold my launch party! I have about ten RSVP’s and a plan for snacks, activities, and the short speech I’m going to give. This is great.

Sunday, February 2: The day of the launch party.

  • 12: 30 am-- I’m working on my term paper for history class, freaking out over a chemistry test I have to study for, and the launch party is obviously the last thing on my mind.
  • 1:15 am-- Finally, I go to sleep. Typical.
  • 8:00 am-- Wake up! Get ready! Launch party is TODAY! 
  • Noon-- The basement is all set up for viewing two mini-documentaries released by the Sunrise Movement. I set up an arts and crafts table so once the videos are done, we can discuss them while making signs for the Green New Deal. I am so excited!

  • 1: 45 pm-- The guests will arrive in fifteen minutes. My sister is helping me with a playlist while I lie facedown on the couch in despair. Organizing is stressful.
  • 2 pm-- I get off the couch as people enter, and my nine guests from four different schools start arriving. There’s no reason to despair, this is actually going really well. We start with a “social mapping” activity. To visualize all the networks we’re part of and the opportunities for advocacy, we put post-its on the wall.
Book club, GSA, Field hockey, Choir, even other advocacy groups like RESULTS!

  • 2:30 pm-- These videos are freakin’ intense. Yet, they’re also the most inspiring thing I’ve even seen about climate action.

  • 3:00 pm-- We’re having a really good discussion about the movement to stop climate change and create millions of good jobs in the process. From 8th to 11th grade, everyone has a unique voice and something to share. One 8th grader describes how classmates make fun of her for expressing her political views. “How do I change their minds,” she asks. The room falls silent for a moment. Then, hands start going up as people share their solidarity and suggestions.
  • 3:30-- Time for fun with arts and crafts! While most guests are painting and hanging out together, I'm signing up to co-lead a “strike circle” with another student at my school. Our group of 6-10 students will meet weekly until the Earth Day climate strikes.


  • 4 pm-- Guests are leaving, with art projects and action sheets in hand. “When’s the next one?” someone asks. “We should have another launch party,” another tells me.
Despite all the doubts and worries I had leading up to this launch party, I’m so glad I did it. The students who came all have powerful voices, and now this is bigger than me and my “party”. I’m so grateful for the privilege to hear other perspectives and draw inspiration from each and every one of them.

What a day! I can’t wait for the next strike circle meeting.


To get involved in the Sunrise Movement, visit https://www.sunrisemovement.org/join.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm another sunrise member here in Stl and Grace shared this with us. It's exciting to see other people here in St. Louis doing something to change the future! I hope you don't mind, I posted a link to this on the blog I just made a few weeks ago for the local sunrise hub:
    http://blog.sunrisestl.org/index.php/thrill-seeking-for-nerds-who-want-to-change-1
    I don't have a lot of posts yet, but I'd love to see it become a place where we can post our stories to maybe get other local Stl folks hyped up about what we're trying to do here. Thanks again for sharing, and great job on the launch party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to lobby a member of Congress

How to Write a Letter to the Editor

Advocating with a Sensory Processing Disorder