Guest Blog: Gender Equity in Innovation



Hello! My name is Janvi. I am so stoked to be guest blogging with Yara, and it was so kind of her to write a post on my blog as well!

I recently created a blog of my own, Janvi’s Introspective and Interesting Ideas, after wanting to find a way to document some of my thoughts and introspection during this period of social-distancing and much time spent at home. My blog is a representation of my own research, ideas (hence the name!), and whatever advice I have to offer. The general nature of my blog is formatted to be like a conversation with a friend or a family member where I enjoy encouraging discussion (in the form of comments or simply internal musings). In the spirit of conversation, I figured I should introduce you to who you are “talking” to.

Hi, it’s Janvi! How’s it going? I hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy! I am currently a high school junior from St. Louis. 

I am part of a family of five. I have a younger brother who is cooler than I ever could be, as well as a super playful dog named Sugar.




Two of the things I am most passionate about in life is science (specifically medicine) and gender equity. Over the past summer at the Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) International Leadership Conference in Florida, I found the perfect way to incorporate these passions through work at the 501(c) non-profit organization, iGIANT. Our HOSA Sponsor that was with us during this trip “forced” me into attending the roundtable discussion held by the founder at the conference. Although my initial involvement was merely an accident, I am beyond blessed to work for this organization. iGIANT - the impact of Gender/Sex on Innovation and Novel Technologies - focuses on systematically addressing gender-specific programs, protocols, products, and policies through series of rountables/challenges held all around the world. The organization encourages major corporations and smaller companies to incorporate gender-specific design elements in their products.

Ok, that explanation was quite technical. How does this apply to you? To me? To the world? Much of the technology and products around us were designed with the average man in mind. Not the average woman or the average non-binary individual. Even when products are catered towards women, a “shrink it and pink it” approach dominates. This causes long-term damage to the health and well-being of society as a whole. For example, here are some of the examples of this method I found to be most applicable to my life. Pants - why do women’s pants have short and shallow pockets while men seem to have excessive ones? Scrubs - why are scrubs not catered to a women’s body and stature and affect their ability to perform their jobs? Astronaut suits - why are astronaut suits not catered to the needs of women, enough to delay the all-women spacewalk? From pants, to scrubs, to astronaut suits, to hiking boots and skiing equipment, flaws in technology can be found all around us. Out of all the amazing things I have learned through my work at iGIANT, I have learned to look through this lens and uncover gender-specific issues in the world around me. I encourage you to pause here and do the same.

I have been so privileged to have accidentally encountered iGIANT and all the diverse people that work to further our mission. I have been able to organize and host my own roundtables to spread our message to thousands. I was actually hoping to speak about my work right about now at the Global Health and Leadership Conference at Johns Hopkins University (actually how I “met” Yara!) but unfortunately, the conference was delayed due to our current situation. Still, I hope to speak and continue to spread my message at the rescheduled conference. It has been truly life-changing to see the world through this lens and combine such deep passions for science and gender equity through uncovering this implicit sexism.

Thank you so much for reading a little bit about me and what I am passionate about! I can’t wait for you to read my blog for more about my musings and join the “conversation”!

Janvi :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to lobby a member of Congress

Advocating with a Sensory Processing Disorder

Submitting a public comment? Why??